10 of our favorite guest memories
Get ready for lots of throwbacks and nostalgia galore. Don’t forget - if you have a precious Outrigger memory that you’d like to share with the world, post to your favorite social media site with #OutriggerTurns70. Better yet, promise yourself the gift of making more memories and explore your next vacation today.
1. “I stayed at the Reef Hotel in 1969 and definitely enjoyed my stay. I was a young widow at the time and was very apprehensive being alone and far from home. The location of the hotel and hotel staff made sure I was safe. The Lobby Staff gave me information about the different restaurants and things to do where I wouldn't feel out of place by myself. I can't remember for sure if Don Ho was performing at the hotel then or if it was in 1971. I have many fond memories of my stay at the Reef.” -Phyllis Francis, CA
2. “I began my teaching career in Kelowna BC in September 1971. I had never been on a major trip until spring break of April 1972. Three of my dear friends and colleagues and I flew to Oahu and stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki for but wait $32.00 a night for the four of us! We had a wonderful time visiting the many attractions and sipping on a few Blue Hawaii cocktails. One of the highlights was visiting the Punchbowl for an Easter Sunrise Service. What a memorable experience. My favourite memory of the Outrigger was meeting my grade nine teacher from Calgary Alberta at Davy Jone’s Locker for cocktails. She was visiting her brother in Oahu and we got in touch after close to ten years. Who would have thunk it?! She knew I had talents and skills but told me I would never make a teacher! Perhaps it was tongue in cheek. When I met up with her I told her that I had my [first] teaching position. She was very proud and congratulated me. After forty-five years as a teacher/counsellor I know I made the right choice and have never looked back. Davy Jone’s Locker was a favorite part of the hotel and I will cherish the memories forever. Thank you. I would love to revisit the Outrigger Waikiki and walk down memory lane!” -Kendra Law, Surrey Canada
3. “I have two memories I won't forget. In 1971 my family made our first trip to Hawaii staying at the Reef Hotel. I was 9 years old at the time I remember when we arrived at our ocean view room it was dark and late at night my mom opened up the sliding patio door and said "wholly look at all the canoes in the water." Of course it was the whitecaps from the waves breaking. During the same trip my mom and dad would end their nights at the poolside bar my older sister asked me to request to the singer to sing "One paddle Two paddle." When the singer came to play it he asked me to come up and assist him. His name was Bill Messer and over the next number of years each year we returned Bill would remember myself and I would sing the song with him. Davy Jones locker also comes to mind as I believe it was a bar that had a lookout window into the swimming pool. So many fond memories through the 6 years consecutively we stayed at the Reef Hotel I have not been back to Hawaii since. I would love to travel back to Oahu and stay at the Reef and reminisce about all the fun I had as a child. Thanks for the memories” -Tom Hill, Campbell River Canada
4. “My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on our honeymoon 45 years ago (June 1973). It was our first trip to Hawaii and we had a wonderful time exploring the island spending time at the beach and pool and going to the Luau at the Outrigger. On our 25th anniversary (1998) we were in Oahu again and went to the Society of Seven at the Outrigger main showroom...so much fun especially because my husband was picked from the audience and outfitted with an Elvis wig and cape and performed! Now THAT is a memory I will never forget and I have pictures to prove it! It would be great to go back for our 45th anniversary in June!” -Deborah Stearns, USA
5. “I stayed at the Outrigger in mid-May 1980 on my way back to Japan after I finished college in Oregon. I enjoyed the warm sweet smell of air and the location of the hotel. My college friends from Oahu took me to the North Shore for the first time. On the way we stopped this small general store and had a rainbow shaved ice which was so refreshing and delicious. I remember I bought a sweatshirts saying "Matsumoto Shaved Ice". We were talking stories and laughing getting into the car to drove off. We drove for 5-10 minutes then I realized that I left my wallet on the roof of the car! I didn't have a lot of cash but my college ID were in there. I don't remember why I put it there perhaps needed both hands to hold shaved ice cups to get in the car. Anyway my college friends said "Eh... too late brah. Just forget about problem..." We kept driving and had a wonderful day. Time flies... can't believe it was 38 years ago. I would like to stay where I can wake up early grab the long board and puddle out to catch morning waves...just remember good old days.” -Masaki Shimida, OR
6. “As a kid my dad used to take us down to the Outrigger Waikiki once a year when his relatives came to visit from California. As kids it was always something that we looked forward to. We would enjoy swimming in the pool with the window where the people at the bar could watch us through the window. We grew up out in the country (Laie) so going to stay in Waikiki was a big deal for us. Those were some of the best memories for me and my siblings growing up.” -Charles Crismon, HI
7. “It's been almost 32 years since we spent our honeymoon at the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki. I was a lot thinner then and cherish the photo on the beach in my bikini. (I still have the bikini if not the figure!) My memories are foggier now but I remember how exciting and exotic walking on Waikiki Beach felt to this Ohio girl. The biggest surprise to me about the Reef was how open it was to the outdoors. The lobby was huge and the breezes wafted though. We are still married and maybe the magic of our Outrigger honeymoon helped. Or maybe it was Don Ho!” -Paula Prindle, USA
8. “I stayed at the Outrigger in 1969 with four other girlfriends. We shared the penthouse facing Diamond Head. I still have the receipt for the week that shows my portion of the bill was 70 dollars for the week! I had just turned 21 and this was my first trip to Hawaii and my first airplane flight. I had the time of my life that week and didn’t want to leave. It would be fun to stay there again and relive the memories!” -Linda Crowe, CA
9. “We visited Oahu to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the Outrigger and renewed our wedding vows on the beach on the morning after our arrival. Loved the ceremony! It was so much more [than] we had anticipated. Enjoyed a beautiful 1st day of touring around the island and ended that 1st day on the beach just outside the hotel watching fireworks. Fabulous day!” -Alissa McGreevy, USA
10. “40 years ago 3 friends & I went to Oahu after our High school graduation & stayed at Outrigger East. While looking thru pics for our 40th class reunion this summer the other day I found some pictures of the front desk clerk we befriended during our stay. That was a fabulously fun vacation. We all still keep in touch. It would be a blast from the past to re-enact that trip.” -Tamela Edmonston, WA
Ready to make memories? Gift yourself and your loved ones an unforgettable tomorrow!